Home About Me Teaching Tips Class Themes Contact Me Social Studies Science Math Reading

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Rock Star Classroom theme

As many teachers do, I try to think of classroom themes to change up my room. Each year I have taught a different grade so I used to changing classroom themes a lot. I have already decided to do a rock star theme. I'm super excited! After perusing Pinterest for hours (I have an addiction!) and searching blogs, I have gotten so many ideas. 

I love how The Inspired Apple does her classroom management. So I definitely will be doing a similar classroom manage system. I'm thinking about glitter cardstock or cardboard to make a sturdy version. I will definitely laminate (I have a laminator at home)! 

There are many other things that I have found for behavior folders, word walls,etc. Seriously, Pinterest and Google are the best things that have every been created! I seriously think pinning should be professional development. IF this was the case, I am well over my professional development hours.

The other thing that I really like to incorporate into my classroom is music. I am all about using music for transitions in my classroom. It saves my voice from having to repeat certain transition expectations. Plus, it is a really good way to let them get the wiggles out while doing other tasks simultaneously. So when I was thinking of songs, I quickly realized that a lot of rock 'n roll songs are not appropriate for the elementary classroom. Therefore, I dug deep and made a decision. Why not stroll back and do some classics and oldies that have the rock 'n roll/soda shop feel? This is when I got really excited. I love oldies but goodies. I have come up with some songs and their functions. There are some that I'm not sure what I should do with yet, but I am determined. This is what I have compiled for my rock 'n roll classroom playlist so far:

1.  Rockin Robin- Jackson 5
2. La Bamba- Ritchie Valens (line up song)
3.Yakety Yak- The Coasters (clean up song)
4.Lollipop- (lunch song)
5. purple people eater (fun song for Halloween)
6.  rock around the clock
7.  Name Game (brain break)
8. Wipeout- (switch centers song)
9. Abc
10. The Twist (brain break song) 
11. The Lion Sleeps Tonight
12. Old Time Rock and Roll  
13. Stand By Me- (goodbye song)
14. I'll Be There- (Good morning Song)

    I hope that these ideas inspire you to shake up things in your classroom.  Happy Planning!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment